Opening an account at Chase Bank may have seemed like a good idea in the old days. But let’s face it! Anyone can change their mind.
After all, keeping an account subject to a minimum balance could leave you with less than $330 a year in your pocket. To this should be added the fees for monthly services, charges for bank transfers, an Annual Percentage Yield (interest rate) that does not meet your expectations, among other things.
As you can see, there are many reasons to close your Chase checking or savings account and they do not necessarily have to do with the strength or quality of the bank. Simply, you may be interested in a bank that pays more interest in the United States or perhaps charges fewer fees and surcharges, such as credit unions or online banks.
Regardless of the reason you have, we will help you! If you’ve already made the decision to close a Chase Bank account, here’s how to do it.
Can I close a Chase Bank account online?
Yes, indeed it is the simplest way to do it. To close your account:
- Visit the Chase Bank online platform and log in using your credentials.
- Once in your account, open the options menu and select “Secure message center”.
- Next, you will see a list of solutions. Within this fan, you will find the request to close the account.
- After clicking there, Chase will ask you a series of questions. Indicate which account you want to close, a closing reason, and voila!
If you have completed all the steps, within 1-2 business days, you will receive a communication from Chase Bank with the procedure to follow to complete the account closure. Fortunately, we are not talking about something very complicated.
A bank representative will call you to verify your identity. It may also ask you the reason for the closure; this is to find out if there are other types of bank accounts at Chase that are more suited to your new needs: certificates of deposit, credit cards, retirement plans, etc.
In other words, he will try to keep you as a customer! It is up to you to accept and ask him for the requirements to open an account at Chase Bank (a different one than the one you have now, of course) or to remain firm in your decision and kindly ask him to completely close the account.
Note. Although closing your Chase Bank online account is fairly quick, it can take 3-5 business days to actually close your account after you complete your request. Keep this in mind before opting for this option.
Close a Chase Bank account by phone: 1-855-280-4198
You can call the Chase Bank Spanish phone number 1-855-280-4198 to order the closing of your bank account. Yes: we recommend that, before picking up the phone, you have a couple of important data at hand, such as:
- Your date of birth
- Your Chase account number
- The registered email address
The bank agent may ask you a few additional questions to verify your identity and make sure you are not a victim of credit card fraud or any other similar crime. What could I ask you? Anything only you would know, like how many bank accounts you have at your financial institution, your Chase username, whether or not you have active checkbooks, and more.
After verifying your identity, the representative will proceed to order the closure of your account. In 1-3 business days, the entire procedure should be completed.
Close a Chase Bank account in person
The quickest — but also the most inconvenient — way to close a Chase account is by going directly to the bank of your choice.
You can use this online tool to find the closest branch to your home or office and save a ton of time. Before you leave home, check out our “ Chase Bank Hours ” article to make sure the branch is open. Otherwise, you will have to come back another day.
If you want to minimize the waiting time and simplify things, even more, we have a solution for you: close your account with an appointment. Making an appointment at Chase Bank is not a difficult task and will give you the advantage of accessing personalized attention.
Closing a Chase Bank account by mail
Closing bank accounts by mail is not as popular as it used to be, but it is still an option. If you prefer to leave it here, write a communication that includes your signature and that of other holders (if any) and the account number in question. You can give a closing reason if you want: this is up to you.
When the communication is ready, send it by postal mail to the following address:
National Bank By Mail
PO Box 36520
If you want to speed up the process, you can choose to use Chase’s Expedited Paperwork PO Box . To do so, you will only have to send the communication to the address of the corresponding office:
National Bank By Mail,
PO Box KY1-0900
416 West Jefferson, Floor L1
Tips for closing your Chase bank account
We want to leave you with some tips that will help you close your Chase Bank account easily, quickly, and without headaches. Before requesting account closure, make sure:
- Open an alternative bank account. Compare several options to find the best savings accounts, a good Money Market Account, or perhaps a savings account for children that suits you better than the one you already have. There is also the option of using an active bank account as the recipient of funds.
- Eliminate affiliations and automatic payments. Canceling an automatic payment is quite easy to do. Sign in to Chase to eliminate recurring payments and take the opportunity to transfer them to another bank. Also check your streaming subscriptions, software, cable TV, etc. If you used to pay your AT&T bill with a Chase Bank debit card automatically, for example, you’ll want to switch right away.
- Leave your account balance at zero. But before doing so, download the account statements to be able to do the taxes in the future. Also, check that there are no outstanding bank overdrafts to be paid. When you are up to date with everything, transfer the balance to another account that is in your name. Transferring money from Chase to Bank of America or any other American bank is not complicated. In most cases, you will only need the ABA. You can even send money with Zelle from one account to another for free!